The Government of Mongolia is implementing the Loan 3594-MON: Sustaining Access to Quality of Education during Economic Difficulties Project financed by Asian Development Bank (ADB). The project objectives are to minimize the negative effects during the difficult economic period by (i) narrowing the gap in the enrolment capacity of schools and kindergartens in Ulaanbaatar and some aimag centers, (ii) supporting the completion of unfinished curriculum reform and associated assessment system reforms, (iii) ensuring the provision of teaching and learning materials (TLM) that accompany the updated curriculum, (iv) upgrading the skills and knowledge of teachers and managers for the updated curriculum and assessments, and (v) strengthening systems for planning and managing education services. The project executing agency (EA) is the Ministry of Education and Science (MES), and the implementing agencies (IAs) are the MES and Ulaanbaatar Metropolitan Education Department.
The EA intends to recruit a qualified Project Coordinator (12 person months, with possible extension) to be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Project Implementation Unit (PIU). The Project Coordinator is a full-time position in the PIU stationed in Ulaanbaatar city. The Project Coordinator will be responsible for overall management, leadership, coordination, monitoring and evaluation of the project implementation following the ADB and government regulations, procedures and requirements. He/she will support the Government of Mongolia in implementing the project successfully; ensure smooth implementation of project activities to achieve the project outputs and outcomes; and supervise the PIU staff.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Implement the project in accordance with the project implementation schedule, investment and financing plan, procurement plan, social and gender action plan, environmental management plan, and other project documents;
- Act as Secretary of the Project Steering Committee (PSC) and develop an annual project work plan and budget for approval by the PSC;
- Ensure the project implementation complies with the covenants of the loan agreement;
- Ensure that the sufficient government co-financing for the project is reflected in the MES’ annual budget;
- Ensure that procurement and disbursement procedures are conducted in accordance with the ADB and government guidelines and requirements;
- Supervise selection and management of the project contractors and consultants;
- Ensure that annual audits of project financial statements are prepared and reported on timely basis;
- Monitor and evaluate the project against its performance targets and indicators set in the project Design and Monitoring Framework;
- Prepare quarterly and annual project progress reports on timely basis for review by EA, IAs, MOF and ADB;
- Coordinate between the MES, MOF and ADB on the project implementation related issues;
- Ensure that all project-related complaints are handled properly by the MES; and
- Communicate the project activities and progress to the stakeholders including the project beneficiaries and civil society on regular basis.
- A university degree in education, public administration, project management, business management or other relevant disciplines;
- Minimum of 7 years of professional experience in the relevant fields;
- Minimum 3 years of demonstrated experience with managing projects funded by ADB or other International Financial Institutions (IFIs);
- Proven understanding and knowledge of the laws and regulations of the Government of Mongolia as well as the IFI policies, guidelines, and procedures related to donor-financed project implementation;
- Proven understanding of the procurement of goods, works and services under the state budget and IFI projects would be an advantage;
- High standards of professional and work ethics; written and oral English proficiency; strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills; and computer skills are required.
All interested candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter (maximum two pages) supported with the detailed CV, copy of diplomas or certificates and a reference letter from at least the last employer. The application deadline is 21 November, 2023. Only successful candidates shall be contacted and interviewed. Please submit the applications in person or via email to the below address.
Name: D.Nomin, Foreign Relations and Cooperation Department, Ministry of Education and Science of Mongolia
Address: Government Building-III, Baga toiruu-44, Sukhbaatar district, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia